Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue


Travel that is paid for, sponsored, reimbursed, or otherwise funded by outside activities may become a conflict. Travel may be considered a financial interest or a gift, depending on the circumstances. In making disclosures, it is important to disclose the name of the outside entity sponsoring the travel, its purpose, location (if foreign, include country) and value (including any registration fees, accommodations, transportation costs, etc.). Travel that has already been submitted to Concur does not need to be listed on the disclosure form.

Professional societies, foreign institutions of higher education, for-profit entities and non-profit entities are a few examples of outside entities that require disclosures. Otherwise, travel paid for by the University, federal, state or local government agencies, US higher education institutions, US academic teaching hospitals, US medical centers or research institutes affiliated with a US institution of higher education, generally do not need to be disclosed.

Examples of when funded travel may create a conflict:

  • Outside sponsored travel exceeds an estimated $5,000 in the aggregate value from a single source. This could constitute a financial conflict of interest with certain federal sponsors.

Examples of when funded travel may not create a conflict:

  • Meetings for professional societies/other non-profits or travel directly related to university research activities.
  • Vacations